Congratulations to the 4th grade girls basketball CYO team from St. Peter’s in Haverstraw. The team was one of four Rockland teams to take first last weekend at the CYO championships. Nine Rockland teams made it to the championship. The 4th grade Baskeball Gidgets won Saturday’s game against St. Ann’s (Ossining) 26-16.
CONTRIBUTED PHOTO: The St. Peter’s 4th grade girls basketball team, the Gidgets. The photo was submitted by Taryn Rivera, mom of player Maya Rivera.
Gussie Levine, a longtime volunteer who began a career as a children’s book author at age 97 (she gave the profits to charity), died Thursday, March 10, at age 100.
Levine was Rockland Volunteer of the Year in 2007. She had been volunteering with RSVP for 31 years when she was given the honor . She was a “foster grandparent” through RSVP, sharing time with pre-k students and becoming a “phone friend” with elementary-school kids. At Fountainview Senior Residence in Monsey, where she resided, she held leadership positions in the residents council and senior club. Her work with kids inspired her foray into writing children’s books. She donated the profits from her book sales to St. Jude Children’s Hospital. She had also volunteered at Nyack Hospital.
As Levine told the Editorial Board in 2007, when her volunteerism was honored:
All you have to do is give the time, give a little of yourself and it happens.
For more details from her obituary, including information on servies, go here.
JOURNAL NEWS FILE PHOTO: In January, Gussie Levine, 100, held a book signing at the Fountainview.
Village elections are less than a week away (March 15 is voting day).
Check out what the candidates have to say in our voters guide.
If you are a candidate for mayor, trustee or justice in your village, we want to see and hear you.
A candidate photo session is slated from 5 to 8 p.m. Thursday at Journal News offices in Westchester (1 Gannett Drive, White Plains) and Rockland (1 Crosfield Ave., West Nyack). The photos will be used with our news coverage of the elections and our online voters guide. Candidates can also e-mail a JPEG photo to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your name, village and the office you are seeking in the subject line and body of the e-mail.
And, it’s not too late for candidates to participate in our voters guide. Please send your full name, home address, daytime phone numbers and an active e-mail address to email@example.com. Indicate your village and the office you seek in both the subject line and body of the e-mail. We’ll e-mail you back all the information you need to fill out the candidate questionnaire.
After heavy rain, in Rockland, it’s true — you can’t get there from here. Well, you can, but it takes a lot of patience. My regular commute goes through four Nyacks in less than 3 miles. Not this morning. The usual suspect, Route 59 in front of the Palisades Center, sent me on a leisurely (because you couldn’t go any faster) drive through the back roads of West Nyack, Congers, New City, back to Congers, West Nyack to our offices on Crosfield Avenue. I got to see the lakefront property of the mall, the very full Lake DeForest reservoir, from one end to the other, the spouting manholes in northern Congers (and West Nyack) the chewed-up pavement on Strawtown Road above and below (I’d say north and south, but someone will correct me) of Strawtown Elementary, and lots of brake lights, drivers making unsafe u-turns, etc.
What are you seeing in your parts of Rockland?
A series of blood drives, in memory of Dana Sassano, will be sponsored by the Clarkstown Central School District and the Clarkstown Council of Parent-Teacher Associations, with New York Blood Center. The groups have co-hosted community blood drives, and this is their 9th annual blood drive series. Dana Sassano, a New City. resident and Clarkstown High School North senior, was killed in a car accident in late December 2010.
A list of the community blood drives:
- Tuesday, March 8, 3 to 9 p.m., Woodglen Elementary School, Lower Level Gym 121 Phillips Hill Road, New City.
- Tuesday, March 8, 23 to 9 p.m.,, Little Tor Elementary School Cafeteria
56 Gregory Road, New City.
- Thursday, March 10, 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., Clarkstown High School North, Lower Level Gym 151 Congers Road, New City.
- Thursday, March 10, 3:30 to 8 p.m., Link Elementary School Gym 51 Red Hill Road, New City
- Thursday, March 10, 3 to 9 p.m.,West Nyack Elementary School Cafeteria 661 West Nyack Road, West Nyack
- Monday, March 14, 3:30 to 9:30 p.m., Lakewood Elementary School, Lower Level Gym 77 Lakeland Avenue, Congers
- Monday, March 14, 3:30 to 9:30 p.m., Bardonia Elementary School Cafeteria 360 Bardonia Road, Bardonia
- Monday, March 14, 3 to 9:30 p.m., Laurel Plains Elementary School Gym 14 Teakwood Lane, New City, NY
- Tuesday, March 15, 3 to 9 p.m., Congers Elementary School Gym 9 Lake Road West, Congers
- Tuesday, March 15, 3 to 9 p.m., Little Tor Elementary School Cafeteria 56 Gregory Road, New City.
- Thursday, March 17, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Jesse J. Kaplan School (Rockland BOCES) Faculty Cafeteria 65 Parrot Road, West Nyack.
- Tuesday, March 22, 3 to 8 p.m., Strawtown Elementary School Cafeteria 413 Strawtown Road, West Nyack,.
- Thursday, March 31, 4:30 to 9 p.m., New City Elementary School Cafeteria 60 Crestwood Drive, New City.
PHOTO: Family photo of Dana Sassano
Are you a candidate in a March 15 village election? The Journal News is holding photo sessions for village candidates from 5 to 8 p.m. March 8, and from 5 to 8 p.m. March 10 at our offices:
Rockland: 1 Crosfield Ave., West Nyack.
Westchester: 1 Gannett Drive, White Plains.
Photos will be used with our news coverage of the elections and our online voters guide.
Speaking of our voters guide …
To participate in the voters guide: Please send your full name, home address, daytime phone numbers and an active e-mail address to firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate your village and the office you seek in both the subject line and body of the e-mail. The information will be used by our news and editorial staffs to contact and correspond with candidates. The e-mail address will be used to link candidates to a questionnaire that will form the basis of an online guide for voters.